The Most Valuable Lesson

I learned many skills during my Gold Award Project, but the one key skill that stood out to me was communication. I realized that I could not just wait passively until someone comes and talks to me about something. Instead, I needed to initiate my own conversations whether it be by picking up the phone or typing up an email. I learned to not be afraid of asking questions and asking people to explain further if I didn't understand, and not being afraid of asking for things I need like documents. I also learned that I needed to be proactive with following up with people because people can tend to forget if I am not persistent in attempting to communicate. Communication is key to leadership because if I do not clearly convey my goals no one will understand and no one can help me.